Better Be Safe Than Suffer a Bee Sting

dying beeNature has its way of balancing things around us through its flora and fauna. The tiniest of insects contribute to the well-being and growth in and around the environment. Having said that, bees play an integral role in the life cycle of our ecosystem. While they help with the pollination, producing honey and helping in the evolution of life, they can be quiet a menace if instigated the wrong way.

What is a Bee Sting and Why Do Bees Sting?

A bee sting can be very painful and a life threat for some children and adults. It is important to note that bees only sting you when you provoke or irritate them in their natural habitat. Leave them as they are or shoo them away if they are near you is the common practice. However, one should know that a bee sting is dangerous as typically a bee totally and completely disembowels itself when stinging. It stings to protect itself from anything which is considered a threat to its existence.

What Happens When You Get Stung?

The sting is sharp and is almost like a hook. When you or anyone gets stung by a bee, it may be imperative to note that the sharp hooked corner, or stinger, gets lodged into the flesh while the white bulbous or the fleshy part remains on top. Little known is the knowledge that the white bulbous part is actually the poison sac and remains alive even when the other part is lodged into the flesh. It is interesting to note that there would still be movement in the poison sac, meaning that the sting is trying to pump more poison into the body.

What Should You Do If You Get Stung?

It is therefore common practice to scrape the stinger away with the hope that it will be all gone. But wait! Instead of scraping it away, gently try to remove it with your fingernail without further pushing the poison sac. If the entire stinger hasn’t come out, press on the skin and use a tweezers to take it out. Once the stinger has been removed, apply ice or another cold compress to reduce swelling and redness.

It is also heard that some people are allergic to bee stings and there could be serious reaction as well. In case you see or feel something which is beyond the natural swelling or redness, immediately rush to the emergency room or consult with your doctor. It may help to take steps at prevention, rather than waiting for it to evolve completely.

Spencer Murphy
Latest posts by Spencer Murphy (see all)

Leave A Comment

comments powered by Disqus